I get to be home ALL day today! I am so excited. We were supposed to be at SportTmam’s baseball tournament all day…….but it’s raining in my neck of the woods. So ALL games are canceled for today……can the Hallelujah chorus begin! 🙂 Don’t get me wrong, I love these tournaments, I love seeing my son play, I sit there usually as the proud mom.
However, there comes a point when a girl needs to be home. I need to be at home to get the wash done, the house picked up etc. I have also been wanting to bake these glorious, fall pumpkin cookies.…but I need to be home to do this. Baking cookies in the van, while driving, just isn’t a good idea. Despite my mom super hero powers, it won’t work. 🙂 So hopefully I can post a picture of them later today, if they don’t disappear to quickly. But for now I am going to get the newspaper, make some coffee, and enjoy reading the paper and drinking coffee. Can you tell I am excited about this??
It’s nice to be home! There is no place like our own home…….A shelter from the storm of life.
I have a headache, I am so tired, i have tons of laundry to do, my house is a mess……….did I mention that I am tired? Ok, I know I try to post positive things…..but I don’t have much positive energy left today. I must have taken complaining pills this morning instead of my vitamins.
So let’s see if I can turn things around………
I am thankful today for………thinking………thankful for this horrible headache??? NO……..still thinking………
I am thankful that I could drop my son off at the flagpole of his middle school today and he could pray with other christian kids.
I am thankful that I could watch The Inventor get first place in a cross country race today, and then watch her close friend from church get 2nd place!
I am thankful that even when I am weary, God is strong.
I am thankful for my glorious, soft, comfy bed to lay my tired body on each night
I am thankful for Salad Works where I can take The Inventor for a cheap, nutritious meal after her race and before soccer practice.
I am thankful for my blog………God uses it to change my complaining heart to a Thankful one! 🙂 There is much to be thankful for today. I can now go to sleep with a thankful heart.
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! Psalm 107:1
And good night everyone, it’s only 8:35….but I am off to sleep…..Zzzzzzz….zzzzzzzzzzzzz..
I spent about an hour this afternoon planting 50 bulbs back in my woods. They will bloom in early spring and then I can reflect upon the hard work and sweat I put in today. I will also get to enjoy their beauty at a later time….not right away, not today.
I got to thinking while I was planting how we live in such a “instant gratification”, “I want it now”, society. We work hard for something, but we want the results right away! That is why exercise and weight loss can be so difficult, it takes awhile, it takes time.
I think that is how I feel as a christian sometimes. I work hard in this life to honor God, yet I don’t see instant results. Sometimes I even wonder if it is all going to be worth it. I try to live my life in a way that pleases God, yet there are those moments when it’s hard, painful, not fun, and I wonder is it even worth it?
But then I am reminded about the ugly bulb I planted today. Some day it’s going to bloom into a lovely spring flower. It’s beauty and majesty will spread all over our forest floor. Yes, I do believe it’s all going to be worth it someday. I just forget sometimes, but, it’s those glimpses of God’s beauty I got today that help me know……..It’s gonna be worth it someday!
Blogging is such a funny thing……..you have these friends, who aren’t really friends, but you consider them friends even thou you have never met them. Make sense…………well if you are a blogger it will. 🙂
So I have 2 wonderful friends that have given me a special award. I have taken forever to say thanks and acknowledge them and pass the award on to others.
So let me first say thanks to Liza and Beautiful Grace ( who is a “real” friend since we actually got to meet this summer!) both gave me the lovely “I love your blog” award! I LOVE both of their blogs also, they both write with such a passion for the Lord, and such care and concern for others….such lovely ladies. Thanks girls! 🙂
So I must now pass this award on to 7 others……..Mmmmmmm……..thinking………………….still thinking……………………can’t decide……………………………so many great blogs out there………………….thinking…..geez, this is tough……………….ok…………here is my list of my regular reads that I check in with. I am certain several of you have already gotten this award. So don’t feel as though you need to pass it on again. Just know that I appreciate you and your blog blesses me.
Blogs that I love
Amy at The Junk Drawer– This women has been so through so much, but has a wonderful sense of humor and a contagious zeal for life.
Faith at Gold in the Clouds – I love her passion for the Lord and her sense of adventure in the great outdoors.
Linda at Mocha with Linda– She just wrote a beautiful poem about her dear mom who recently died. Please stop by and read her thoughts/reflection of her mom’s life….it is so sweet.
Julie at Pragmatic Compendium– She always has something interesting and provocative to say.
West Family in Thailand– our dear friends who just moved to Thailand to serve the Lord full time!
Pam at Without Fear – she always has something special to share, and has such a Thankful heart!
Melanie at The Fruit of the Spirit– Spiritual insights, spiritual insight and did I mention spiritual insight! 🙂
I love the attitude of being Thankful. That attitude can transform your life. My husband has ALWAYS demonstrated this is such a practical ongoing manner. I certainly have learned a lot from him in this area. I have been wanting to participate in both of these memes for awhile, but never seem to get to it when Thursdays roll around. This week I am determined…..since there is much to be thankful for!
- I am thankful for our dog Nina. I never thought I would say that. Let’s say I was far from a dog lover when we got her 5 years ago. But now our 8 year old chocolate lab is part of the family!
- I am thankful for our van, we got it last summer. Wow what a blessing it has been. My kids are 11 and 13 and this is our first van.
- I am thankful for the beauty in the changing seasons! Not to bust on Florida…..but I could never live there, I need my seasons. I love the snow in the winter, the color of the fall leaves in the crisp air, the spring flowers, and even the heat of summer!
- I am thankful for being 44…….yes I am old I know. But there is joy in watching your children grow up. There is peace in working through the ups and downs of almost 20 years of a Godly marriage. There is wisdom in seeing God’s amazing faithfulness through the years. So I am thankful for being a women in her 40’s……just wish my back didn’t ache so much!! 🙂
- I am thankful for God’s amazing grace in my life over the years. I truly once was lost but now am found….and that is something to rejoice over!
- I am thankful for the yummy farm produce that is so abundant in our area. Corn on the cob, watermelon and peaches were constant favorites this summer.
- I am thankful for frozen pizza on Friday nights at our house. It’s one of those little things in life that makes a big difference.
- And I must mention on this date 9/11. I am thankful for those who faithfully serve our country and give of themselves. Thank you to each one of you!!
- Oh and I of course I am thankful for Jesus and dark chocolate. 🙂
I am driving down the road the other day, praying, and thinking. Since I was alone in the car, this was possible. I realized that I have been suffering from the “I used to” syndrome. I have been feeling very guilty about the “I used to” syndrome and now I feel like I have been set free from this thorn in my side. 🙂
Why is it as a mom, all great revelations either come when I am enjoying peace and quiet in the bathroom or while I am driving???
So what is the IUT syndrome?
Let me give you some insight
- I used to always have the cookie jar filled with homemade cookies……….NOW we eat Oreos
- I used to plan creative meals with a large variety of family favorites……….NOW it’s the crock-pot, or the grill
- I used to be a women’s ministry speaker and I really felt God using me at the many events I spoke at……….NOW I don’t even have time to attend these events.
- I used to teach a variety of classes for women at my church…………..NOW I just see the classes listed in the church bulletin.
- I used to read and study my bible more……………NOW my devotions are quite sporadic
- I used to have a special snack waiting for the kids when they got home from school………..NOW they eat nothing, or have junk food!
- I used to match socks in a timely manner………..NOW I just buy more socks
- I used to scrub my kitchen floor on my hands and knees…….NOW, I used the Swifter, and hope my cleaning lady is coming soon!
I have been feeling so guilty about all my “use to” things, that I had totally lost sight of the present. I was not allowing God to use me NOW. I kept comparing myself to all the things I had done in the past and felt so guilty that I didn’t do those things anymore. So if you are constantly surrounding yourself with guilt, you leave very little opportunity to be used NOW. Well, during the drive to the grocery store, while feeling tired and weary after my first week of school……God spoke to my heart! Got to love His timing. Anyway, I have totally changed my attitude, and am looking for small and even big opportunities for God to use me in my current crazy, busy, working full-time life. 🙂 I am no longer going to be ruled by the IUT syndrome.
Here I am Lord, use me NOW! I think I will go enjoy an Oreo and get the crock-pot ready for dinner tomorrow. 🙂
Wasn’t that a top 40 hit from the one and only Brady Bunch?? I remember the episode like it was yesterday. Peter’s voice was changing and they had to change a song around for the talent contest they were trying out for (Think, before American Idol existed!). It was such a great song……or so I thought in 6th grade!
My kids are a changing and rearranging!
See the proof………
The picture on the top is the start of the 07 school year, the picture on the bottom was taken a mere 3 days ago. In case you were concerned I am not shrinking!
No more sleeping in until 8:00
No more breakfast on the deck
No more slower pace life
No more day trips
No more staying up late and watching movies…..
Ode to the Summer of 08……I will miss you.
School starts Wednesday!!